SCOUR AT BRIDGE WATERWAYS--A REVIEW
Three areas were briefly investigated: (1) analysis of various formulations for scour around bridge piers, (2) ongoing Federal Highway Administration field studies of scour around bridge piers, and (3) recommendations for future research. Practically all of the presently available scour formulas can be reduced to a common set of dimensionless parameters. When compared the formulas differ widely in form and magnitude. There is a serious lack of data to cover a wider range of parameters in order to discover trends. It was recommended that these gaps be filled by research and that other areas relative to bridge openings be examined in order to clarify the areas in which more study, both laboratory and field, is needed. /FHWA/
Saint Anthony Falls Hydraulic LaboratoryUniversity of Minnesota, Mississippi River at Third Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN United States 55414
- Anderson, A G
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge piers; Field studies; Formulas; Laboratory studies; Research; Scour
- Subject Areas: Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Research;
- Accession Number: 00082845
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 89 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: PO 4-1-0159
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 8 1976 12:00AM