REPORT OF AGGREGATES AND WASTE MATERIALS WORKING GROUP
This report is concerned with five items: (A) The derivation of technical coefficients (given as an appendix) for estimating the consumption of aggregates by various construction sectors. A table gives estimates of the annual production of different types of aggregate and the amount used for different purposes; (B) determining the consequences of exploiting alternative aggregates to sand and gravel. It is concluded that crushed rock can be used in concrete, light-weight aggregates may also be used if design criteria are more stringent, lower-grade and waste materials may be used as road fill and in sub-bases, and that an increase in the cost of aggregate has more effect on the overall cost of roads than of buildings; (C) reviewing test criteria in British Standards and other specifications, which in the light of present knowledge, are not considered to be unduly restrictive; (D) surveying waste materials. The current production utilization and amount of stockpiled materials are summarized in a table. The major waste materials are discussed individually and a map shows their distribution. Details are given of an analysis of the social cost of using colliery spoil in road construction; (E) investigation of the part played by the cost of transport on the choice of aggregates. Various forms of transport are discussed including road, rail, water, conveyor belt and pipe-line systems. The report also includes details of a number of recommendations that are made for further research.
Building Research EstablishmentBuilding Research Station, Garston
Watford WD2 7JR, Hertsford, England
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Construction; Delivery service; Demand; Gravel; Sand; Specifications; Waste products
- ITRD Terms: 4577: Aggregate; 4563: By product; 284: Delivery; 285: Demand (econ); 4575: Gravel; 4074: Map; 5149: Mechanical handling; 4105: Sand; 4168: Shale; 9084: Use
- Subject Areas: Construction; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00082750
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. CP 31/73 R&D Rept.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 24 1975 12:00AM