PRODUCTION EFFICIENCY STUDY ON LARGE-CAPACITY, RUBBER-TIRED FRONT-END LOADERS
In an effort to determine the capabilities of the machine in loading bank material into off-highway hauling units and to locate the delays associated with the operation, 27 large-capacity, rubber-tired, front-end loader operations were studied on both highway and non-highway construction projects. The loaders ranged in size from 5.5 to 15 cubic yards heaped, and the productive work time averaged 59 percent of the Total Available Work Time (TAWT). Minor delays (lasting less than 15 mins.) totalled 27 percent of the TAWT, and 14 percent was attributed to major delays. Weather delays were not included. Productive output was more dependent on an adequate payload per loading cycle than on a quick cycle time. Equipment and maintenance repair delays totalled over 65 percent of the major delay time. Minor delay time was largely due to hauling unit shortages at the load site, and the impact of these delays was dependent on the use of this time by the loader operator. Findings of this investigation are summarized. Based on the study, the conclusion is drawn that a greater in-depth evaluation of the loading operation by the contractor is needed to determine to what extent delay time can be decreased, and further evaluation of loader performance can be accomplished with minimum field data and minimum calculations.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Bernard, Da
- Ferragut, T R
- Neumann, D L
- Publication Date: 1973-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: All terrain vehicles; Building materials; Construction; Economic efficiency; Freight handling; Productivity; Road construction; Time and motion studies; Tires; Traffic delays; Work measurement
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Hauling
- Old TRIS Terms: Front end loaders
- Subject Areas: Construction; Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00082731
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RDDP-PC-520 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 26 1975 12:00AM