SAFETY AND RISK MANAGEMENT IN SELECTED AREAS OF THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM
This report contains information about accidents, hazards, and safety programs in 10 selected areas of the National Park System. The study teams reviewed safety in relation to the visiting public, National Park Service employees, concessioners, and contractors. Most emphasis was directed to visitor safety and hazards unique to a particular area. The 10 areas included: Yellowstone National Par, Yosemite National Park, Olympic National Park, Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Grand Canyon National Park, National Capital Parks, Natchez Trace Parkway, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Cape Hatteras National Seashore, and Independence National Historical Park. Accident records were reviewed and the teams made direct observations of potentially hazardous situations. Recommendations for improvement at each area are given along with recommendations fo reshaping safety programs at the regional and national levels. Photographs of hazardous situations are included. Of all the safety problems examined, those in traffic safety were found to be the most serious and in need of immediate, dramatic action. Specific recommendations were made regarding an increase of professional traffic engineering personnel, use of the manual on uniform Traffic Control Devices, increased use of the defensive driving course and numerous recommendations about spicefic traffic locations that were hazardous, e.g. the Rosslyn crossover lane at the foot of Key Bridge on the George washington Memorial Parkway. The report recommended that the crossover lane be closed.
- Research sponsored by the National Park Service, Washington, D.C.
National Safety Council425 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL USA 60611
- Driessen, G J
- Publication Date: 1972-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 422 p.
- Volume: 1/2
- TRT Terms: Crash reports; Hazards; Parks; Safety; Traffic control devices; Traffic engineering; Traffic safety
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00082160
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Contract Numbers: 9900X20022
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM