REFERENCE DESIGN FOR AN (ORGANIC MODERATED REACTOR) OMR-POWERED 38,000-DWT TANKER
This report presents a reference design of a heterogeneous, thermal, organic moderated and cooled reactor (OMR) with a thermal power output of 70 Mw for the propulsion of a 38,000-dwt tanker. The results are presented of a preliminary investigation to determine the advantages and problems involved in designing a reactor core with the thermal neutron flux level constant radially. This flat flux concept has sufficient potential, in weight savings and fuel cost reduction, that additional work is warranted. An estimate of personnel requirements for start-up and operation of this tanker are included. This 6-month study has shown that the OMR concept is a promising approach to supertanker operation because of exceptional safety characteristics, ease of operation, and economic potential.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number NAA-SR-1851.
Atomics InternationalP.O. Box 309
Canogo Park, CA United States
- Gimmera, R J
- Stanbridge, R E
- Publication Date: 1957-3-18
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 117 p.
- TRT Terms: Crew size; Design; Economics; Nuclear power; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor cores; Nuclear reactors
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor design
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Education and Training; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026034
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NAA-SR-1851
- Contract Numbers: AT(11-1)-GEN-8
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 19 1973 12:00AM