ROADS AND TRAFFIC NOISE
This pamphlet is one of a series being published by the National Association of Australian State Road Authorities which treat topics of interest to the community dealing with the effects of transportation. "Road and Traffic Noise" gives brief descriptions of the origins of traffic noise, and the effects of traffic noise on activities such as sleeping, working, conversing, etc. Suggestions are given on how to reduce traffic noise, such as considerate driving behavior and good vehicle maintenance. Insulation of houses and their location are other ways to combat traffic noise. Government regulations have been passed in certain sections of Australia limiting noise levels and restricting the noise emissions from motor vehicles. Recommenations for the reduction of noise levels in the construction of and design of new roads are given. Location of a road is of prime consideration. The contours of the road itself have an effect on noise levels, and specific mention is made of roads below and above ground level. Sound barriers, trees and shrubs, and the condition of road surfaces are discussed as contributive factors in the reduction of noise. The purpose of the brochure is restated in the concluding remarks: to make people more aware of the causes of traffic noise pollution, and then suggest solutions on how to alleviate the problem.
National Association of Australian State Road AuthP.O. Box J141
Brickfield Hill, New South Wales 2000, Australia
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Highway design; Highways; Location; Noise; Noise barriers; Noise control; Regulation; Social values; Sound level; Traffic noise
- Uncontrolled Terms: Highway location
- Old TRIS Terms: Community values; Government intervention; Transportation effects
- ITRD Terms: 1057: Air transport network; 8006: Australia; 3352: Building (structure); 2806: Gradient; 2144: Health; 6914: Insulation; 2885: Layout; 1556: Legislation; 9061: Location; 9149: Prevention; 6748: Sound; 6747: Sound level; 3053: Surface texture; 3374: Tunnel; 313: Urban area; 2488: Vegetation; 1575: Vehicle inspection
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00081852
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 26 1975 12:00AM