20,000 SHP NUCLEAR TANKER, FINAL REPORT, VOLUME 1
The nuclear reactor system considered in this report represents a first reactor plant and does not exploit to its fullest the possible technology of the closed-cycle gas-cooled reactor system. Three sections are contained within this volume. A description of the reactor, power plant, and associated control and protective equipment is to be found in the first section. Also described is propulsion plant equipment and several feasible machinery layouts are given. The Mechanical Section is second and covers pressure vessel design, shutdown cooling, and procedures for fuel element and control rod removal. Reactor Engineering data is presented in the third section. This concerns the choice of coolant, choice of turbomachinery compression ratio, choice of reactor pressure and outlet temperature, and problems relating to the removal of heat stored in the graphite core.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number FICO-102-Vol-1. See also MRIS #026026, Vol 2.
Sperry Rand CorporationFord Instrument Division, 31-10 Thomson Avenue
Long Island City, NY USA
- Publication Date: 1957-4-22
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 120 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Electric power plants; Nuclear power plants; Nuclear powered ships; Structural design
- Old TRIS Terms: Power plant design
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026025
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FICO-102 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-2)-250
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM