RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM FOR AN OMR POWER PLANT FOR PROPULSION OF A 38,000-DWT TANKER
A proposed research and development program for an Organic Modulated Reactor Experiment (OMRE) power plant for propulsion of a 38,000 DWT tanker is presented. The total cost of the program which requires 22 months to accomplish is $4,600,000. The work expected to be accomplished under the program covers plant optimization studies, economic optimizations, power plant dynamics, shielding studies, residue handling, fuel element development, and nuclear parameters of hydrocarbon moderated lattices. Also covered are engineering design of flat flux core, critical experiment of flat flux core, control-safety rod development, control system development, handling and maintenance techniques, core tank mock-up, pump and seal development, hydraulic studies, and engineering tests of reactor components.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number NAA-SR-1880.
Atomics InternationalP.O. Box 309
Canogo Park, CA USA
- Publication Date: 1957-3-18
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric power plants; Nuclear power plants; Nuclear powered ships; Ships; Structural design; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Power plant design
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026022
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NAA-SR-1880
- Contract Numbers: AT(11-1)-GEN-8
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM