A STUDY OF LOW ENRICHMENT GAS COOLED REACTORS FOR USE IN A CLOSED CYCLE GAS TURBINE MARINE PROPULSION SYSTEM, VOLUME 1
A preliminary design study is presented of a low-enrichment gas-cooled, graphite-moderated reactor to be used to power a 20,000 SHP, helium, closed-cycle, gas turbine of a 38,000 DWT oil-tanker which will operate on the New York City to Persian Gulf run via the Suez Canal. The results of parametric studies carried out on low-enrichment uranium and thorium fueled reactors are provided and the economics of these systems are compared to the economics of a fully-enriched system.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number GMR-126.
General Motors CorporationWarren, MI USA 48090
- Leffert, C B
- Harnsberger, D A
- Brave, R G
- Publication Date: 1957-12-20
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 177 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Design; Gas turbines; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor design
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026017
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: GMR-126
- Contract Numbers: MA-1252
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM