THE HANDICAPPED AND ELDERLY MARKET FOR URBAN MASS TRANSIT-EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The purpose of this study is to determine the urban mass transit needs of the elderly and handicapped in order that the Department might better meet their needs. The entire study is divided into three reports: The Executive Summary (this report), a Technical Report which details the study findings, methodology, references, data, etc., and a Census Data section which consists of supportive statistics. This report describes the status, existing services and transit needs and demands of the elderly and handicapped. Alternative solutions discussed include the upgrading of existing or planned systems, Dial-A-Ride, transit stamps, coupon taxi and ubiquitous fixed route service. Various impacts are analyzed and recommendations are made concerning further studies and reports and approaches for local planners are outlined.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Publication Date: 1973-7
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Improvements; Needs assessment; Paratransit services; Physically handicapped persons; Public transit; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Old TRIS Terms: Dial-a-bus
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00081303
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0034-73-1Sumry Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 26 1981 12:00AM