INVESTIGATION OF THE FORCES CARRIED ACROSS CRACKS IN REINFORCED CONCRETE BEAMS IN SHEAR BY INTERLOCK OF AGGREGATE
The contribution to the shear capacity of beams of the forces transferred across cracks by aggregate interlock is investigated. Two series of tests are described: in the first, interlock forces were measured by means of a special rig which simulated the displacement found to occur across shear cracks; in the second, interlock forces were measured in specially instrumented beams. The relative contributions of the three methods of shear force transfer--in the compression zone, by dowel action of the main tensile reinforcement and by interlock across cracks--are given for four beam tests which have previously been reported.
Cement and Concrete ResearchMaxwell House, Fairview Park
Elmsford, NY United States 10523
- Taylor, HPJ
- Publication Date: 1970-11
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Beams; Cracking; Dislocation (Geology); Reinforced concrete; Shear stress
- Uncontrolled Terms: Reinforced concrete beams; Shear forces; Shear transfer
- Old TRIS Terms: Interlocking; Shear cracks
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00081037
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR 42.447 Tech. Rpt.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 26 1975 12:00AM