RESEARCH ON THE SAFETY OF URBAN JUNCTIONS
RECHERCHE SUR LA SECURITE DES INTERSECTIONS EN ZONE URBAINE
This report investigates the safety of urban junctions and outlines methods of safety evaluation and accident reduction. The factors affecting the safety of junctions are discussed, and the more important variables are defined. Present techniques of safety evaluations are described: accident statistics, study of traffic operations, road user behavior, and cost/benefit analyses. A section of the report is devoted to the analysis of research methods to be used. Details are given of techniques for reducing accidents, including urban planning, road construction and traffic management methods, information and education of road users, and traffic control techniques. Proposals are put forward for co-operative research on: relations between accident types and traffic measures, effect of priority on safety at junctions, analysis of traffic conflicts, relation between geometric characteristics and accidents, attitude of road users towards preventive measures, and network planning.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)2, rue André Pascal
Paris, France 75775 Paris Cedex 16
- Roadet, G
- Publication Date: 1971-10
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; City planning; Crash rates; Crash types; Drivers; Highway operations; Highway traffic control; Intersections; Operations research; Road construction; Safety factors; Traffic control; Travelers
- Old TRIS Terms: Highway user characteristics; Traffic control systems; Traffic operations research
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 1661: Accident prevention; 8005: Asia; 9003: Cause; 224: Cost; 2284: Education; 5911: Efficiency; 8034: Europe; 8036: France; 8555: Information documentation; 8053: Japan; 455: Junction; 1733: Pedestrian; 5925: Properties; 1755: Road user; 6555: Statistics; 8109: Sweden; 313: Urban area; 8122: Usa
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00080864
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: R&D Rpt.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 26 1975 12:00AM