WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY?
The National Safety Council's Highway Traffic Safety Division, in March 1983, began a process to determine what emerging trends would affect traffic safety throughout the nation in the 1990s and beyond. Based on these emerging trends, the 10 technical committees of the division were asked to identify implications for the future in highway traffic safety for which we should begin now to plan. This article takes a look at some of the emerging trends identified and their implications in following four areas: demographics, vehicles, economy, and energy. This sample demonstrates the technique of future research and indicates how important it is for "preactive" rather than reactive planning. An example of reactive planning is found in the current funding of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Funds for NHTSA have been cut drastically and the major portion of what is left is being expended on two programs (alcohol and drug abuse and occupant restraints) to the neglect of other programs that are just as critical now as when they first appeared. Several of these neglected programs are identified in this article.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00410721
National Safety Council444 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL United States 60611
- Bufe, N
- Publication Date: 1984-9
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- Traffic Safety (Chicago)
- Volume: 84
- Issue Number: 5
- Publisher: National Safety Council
- ISSN: 0041-0721
- TRT Terms: Demographics; Economics; Energy; Future; Highway safety; Motor vehicles; Planning; Research; Safety programs; Traffic safety; Trend (Statistics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Future research
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00393901
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-037 725
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1985 12:00AM