A MICROPROCESSOR BASED CONTROLLER FOR A DRY PLATE CLUTCH AND CONSTANT MESH GEARBOX
This paper describes the development of a microprocessor based controller for conventional dry plate clutch and constant mesh gearbox transmissions as found on heavy goods vehicles. The controller is also applicable to vehicles fitted with synchromesh gearboxes. The controller is designed to enable the vehicle to be driven in either a protected semi-automatic mode or a fully automatic mode. The controller provides a cheap route to the advantages of automatic transmission, which include easier driving, improved fuel economy and improved reliability. In particular it gives improved clutch and gearbox life, without incurring the cost, weight and fuel efficiency penalties of conventional torque convertor based automatic transmissions. A description of the diagnostic aids incorporated in the controller covering both the depot maintenance and service aspects and the on-vehicle warning and limp home facilities is given.
- Published in SP-619, Passenger Car Transmissions.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Page, P R
- Publication Date: 1985-2
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic transmissions; Clutches; Control systems; Microprocessors; Transmissions
- Old TRIS Terms: Gear boxes
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00399155
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 850563, HS-038 864
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 30 1985 12:00AM