INVENTORY OF TRAFFIC SIGNS, SIGNALS AND MARKINGS ON STREETS AND HIGHWAYS UNDER COUNTY JURISDICTION
This project allowed county personnel to perform complete inventories of the traffic signs, signals and markings under their respective jurisdictions at Federal expense. The purpose of the inventory was to provide counties with information which could be used in programs to systematically replace non-conforming, outdated and worn out traffic signs and pavement markings. Although no final report on the project was written, statistics were made available through computer summaries. The surveys were completed by the counties during the time period of 1967 and 1970. The inventories were processed by the New Jersey Department of Transportation's computer and printouts were forwarded to the counties for their information. the information can be summarized as follows: 1) Signs - on 6671 miles of County Highways there were 31,941 signs that conformed to the 1961 Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), while 51,153 signs did not conform to the MUTCD. The total number of signs on the county roads was 83,094 with 38.5% of the signs being in conformance with the MUTCD at the time of the survey. 2) Signals - although no total number of signals statistic was calculated, some counties collected signal data on their computer input sheets and the locations and types of these signals appear on the computer printouts. 3) Markings - 16 out of 21 counties submitted pavement marking data with the following results: there were 2933 conforming center lines and 194 non-conforming ones. 4) Railroad Crossing Markings - the railroad grade crossing data submitted to us is summarized as follows: 83 crossings were marked, 239 crossings were unmarked, 27 crossings had markings which conform to the 1961 MUTCD, 20 crossings had incomplete markings, 36 crossings had markings which did not confrrm to the 1961 MUTCD.
- Consists of two documents: Manual of Instructions, Traffic Control Device Inventory, July 1967, 19 pp; and Municipal Sign Inventory, 1973, 40 pp.
Trenton, NJ United States 08625
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 59 p.
- TRT Terms: County government; Equipment maintenance; Inventory; Road markings; Statistics; Traffic control devices; Traffic signals; Traffic signs
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic control device maintenance; Traffic marking
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00080803
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 26 1975 12:00AM