AERODYNAMICS OF VEHICLES IN FINITE LENGTH TUBES
High speed vehicles may operate in tunnels or tubes to minimize impact on the surrounding environment. Operation in tunnels or tubes minimizes the impact of surface obstacles, high noise levels, weather constraints and street congestion in metropolitan areas. The performance of these vehicles is significantly affected by the aerodynamics and needs to be understood. The aerodynamics of vehicles traveling through tubes are significantly affected by the constraints of the tube wall and the relative size (blockage ratio) of the vehicle. Steady flow conditions are reached only after long travel times. In this report, the flow created by vehicle travel in a tube is analyzed using numerical integration of the unsteady flow equations. Steady state conditions are rarely obtained for closed-end tubes up to several hundred miles in length. Solutions are presented for various blockage ratio vehicles with choked and unchoked flow conditions about them. Various tube lengths are also considered. The solution for a doubly infinite tube is found to be approaching the asymptotic long time solution.
- Record URL:
- This document was prepared for the Federal Railroad Administration, DOT.
TRW Transportation and Environmental OperationsOne Space Park
Redondo Beach, CA United States 90278
- Hammitt, A G
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamics; Drag; Environmental impacts; Equations; Finite element method; Flow; Heat transfer; High speed ground transportation; High speed vehicles; Intelligent transportation systems; Length; Noise; Numerical analysis; Operations; Pneumatic conveyors; Speed; Traffic congestion; Tubing; Tunnels; Vehicles; Viscosity; Weather
- Uncontrolled Terms: Congestion; Steady flow
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Finite elements; Flow path; Tube vehicles
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Environment; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00080781
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-ORD&D-74-10 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-30004
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1975 12:00AM