P/M MATERIALS AND COMPONENTS FOR CAR APPLICATIONS: PRESENT SITUATION AND TRENDS FOR THE FUTURE
The automotive applications of sintered structural parts and bearings represent, in general, more than 60% of total production for mechanical industries. The growth of P/M parts consumption in the car sector is examined, both from the quantitative and from the qualitative standpoints. While the increase in unit weight of sintered components per car has been rather continuous, the technical importance of the various applications has been gradual, rising from "secondary" items up to "critical" ones. The reasons for the growing consumption of P/M parts are reviewed and discussed. The typical advantages of the powder metallurgy process for mass production of complicated shapes are listed, with special attention given to the most common requirements of automotive applications. The comparison between the USA and various European countries shows a substantial difference in average weight of P/M parts per car. This difference is explained by considering the difference of market situations, typical consumer habits and design lines. From a technical evaluation of present production and experience levels in the most advanced countries it is possible to draw some conclusions on the possible further developments of P/M parts for automotive applications in the near future. The "natural" limits of the sintering technology allow to distinguish between advanced applications still possible, and economically convenient, and other ideas almost impossible to transfer into practical production runs. The description of some very interesting new sintered solutions is underlined, as a significant demonstration of the reliability that, by now, has been reached by Powder Metallurgy.
- ISATA 84, "In Pursuit of Technical Excellence". Proceedings Volume 2. International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation with particular reference to Vehicle Management Systems and Flexible Manufacturing Systems, Milan, Italy 24-28 September 1984.
Automotive Automotion Limited42 Lloyd Park Avenue
Croydon CRO 5SB, Surrey, England
Alfa Romeo Auto SpAMilan, Italy
- Bocchini, G F
- Publication Date: 1984
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile industry; Parts; Powder metallurgy; Production; Sintering; Trend (Statistics); Vehicle components; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Future growth
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00399965
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: ISATA 84091, HS-038 505
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 30 1985 12:00AM