CAD: THE BASIS FOR INTEGRATED MANUFACTURING
In many industries it is necessary for a company to automate and to integrate its manufacturing operations if it is to have a chance to attain a position of market leadership--or in extreme cases, if its business is to survive as an ongoing entity. Fortunately, the tools of factory floor automation--the new generation of "smart" machines--are appearing in many forms. These smart machines include robots, flexible-machining centers, computer-controlled punch presses, and computer-aided testing machines. Highly-reliable smart machines are now commercially available from a broad array of vendors around the world. These smart machines share a common characteristic--they are programmable. The thesis of this paper is that there is a commercially available technology that can automate the programming, simulation and data base integration process for smart machines. This technology is called computer aided design/computer aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM). After briefly defining CAD technology and introducing the concept of the product data base, this paper illustrates the ways that CAD technology can bring productivity improvements to the manufacturing process.
- ISATA 84, "In Pursuit of Technical Excellence". Proceedings Volume 2. International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation with particular reference to Vehicle Management Systems and Flexible Manufacturing Systems, Milan, Italy 24-28 September 1984.
Automotive Automotion Limited42 Lloyd Park Avenue
Croydon CRO 5SB, Surrey, England
Alfa Romeo Auto SpAMilan, Italy
- Colombo, A
- Publication Date: 1984
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Automobile industry; Computer aided design; Computer aided manufacturing; Databases; Manufacturing; Productivity; Robots
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00399943
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: ISATA 84065, HS-038 483
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 30 1985 12:00AM