A STUDY OF THE TRANSPORTATION FACILITATION CENTER CONCEPT
The study evaluates a concept for the pickup and delivery of small shipments in the urban area. The concept, entitled Transportation Facilitation Centers (TFC), also could provide a basic network of facilities for pooling shipments, container interchange, transport equipment pooling, and inland consolidation and breakbulk of international air and marine containerized freight. The report defines the TFC, concept, identifies mandatory and other service opportunities, assesses the market for TFC services, and discusses legal and regulatory restraints to implementing TFC. A comprehensive economic analysis of freight movement and carrier costs for pickup and delivery of under-1000-pound shipments in the City of Chicago was conducted. The conclusions and findings of the Contractor are presented, along with recommendations to facilitate implementation of the concept.
Parsons (Ralph M) Company100 West Walnut Street, Systems Division
Pasadena, CA USA 91124
Department of TransportationAssistant Secretary for Environment, Safety and Consumer Affairs, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Blatner, I
- Publication Date: 1974-9
- Pagination: 322 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Containerization; Delivery service; Freight handling; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Passenger terminals; Size; Urban areas; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Pooling
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00080662
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 4937-2 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-20224
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 6 1975 12:00AM