VEHICLES FOR THE NORTH
Siberian conditions require special modifications for standard-model trucks and buses. A series of 'northern duty' vehicles are now available. They incorporate additional insulation and better heaters to protect driver and passengers, special equipment to facilitate engine warm-up and tires, and other rubber components of cold-resistant rubbers which retain their elasticity down to -60C. The current 5-year plan projects the delivery of 14 thousand such vehicles. Their special operation and maintenance requirements will demand additional training of drivers and mechanics.
- Trans. of Za Rulem (USSR) n12 p14-15 1972, by Markowitz.
Army Foreign Science and Technology Center220 7th Street, NE
Charlottesville, VA United States 22901
- Velikanov, D
- Levin, A
- Publication Date: 1973-10-10
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Cold weather; Heaters; Maintenance practices; Operations; Tires; Trucks; Vehicle components; Weatherproofing
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00080653
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FSTC-HT-23-1490-73
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 6 1975 12:00AM