DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF AUTOMOBILE CRASH SENSORS--EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Results of an investigation of post-contact crash sensing techniques are reported. The study included a survey of crash sensor technology, and experimental testing of crash sensing devices. Testing included full-scale crash tests of unmodified vehicles instrumented with crash sensors and accelerometers. Laboratory bench testing of crash sensors was conducted employing a centrifuge device to determine static bias levels and a Linear Accelerator apparatus to provide dynamic performance information. In addition an induction coil crash sensing device which actuates a squib power circuit when the relative velocity between the vehicle and its front bumper exceeds a pre-selected threshold was developed.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ryder Jr, M O
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerometers; Air bags; Constraints; Crash injury research; Crash sensors; Crashes; Dynamic loads; Research
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00080643
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CALSPAN-ZQ-5351-V-3 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-053-3-725
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 6 1975 12:00AM