DEVELOPMENT OF TECHNIQUES TO PREVENT OCCUPANT EJECTION DURING ROLLOVER
A rollover test facility was designed and developed to conform with specifications of FMVSS 208, Notice 9. This facility was used to perform a number of vehicle rollovers, using various types of standard production sedans. Test results indicate that difficulties exist in achieving repeatable vehicle rollover kinematics under successive tests where test control parameters are very similar and in conformance with basic requirements of FMVSS 208. Also, results obtained by Agbabian Associates appear at variance with results of other organizations conducting similar tests. This net project result prevented quantitative evaluation of occupant ejection potential during rollover, and resulted in project direction toward defining critical test parameters and analyzing kinematics differences for successive tests.
- This report is available in 2 parts: DOT HS-801 122, Vol. 1 Executive Summary, 45 pp and DOT HS-801 123, Vol. 2 Technical Report, 343 pp.
Agbabian Associates250 North Nash Street
El Segundo, CA United States 90245
- McKibben, J S
- Clark, G S
- Carlson, L E
- Publication Date: 1974-5
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 397 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles by type; Ejection; Kinetics; Passenger cars; Restraint systems; Rollover crashes; Testing; Vehicle occupants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Vehicle make
- Old TRIS Terms: Occupant restraint; Sedan
- Subject Areas: Highways; Passenger Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00080606
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT HS-801 122, 123 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 26 1975 12:00AM