VEHICLE FRONT END STRUCTURE CRASH EVALUATION PROGRAM
This report presents the results of a research program conducted to determine the crash response characteristics of two front end structure systems. Computer simulations of each structure and crash environment were conducted using an existing computer crash simulation program. The two front end structures, a ramped fixed-force system and a variable stroke velocity-sensitive system, were incorporated into bogey vehicles which were crashed into a rigid barrier, a variable rigidity barrier, and production vehicle front and side structures. The test results provided data by which computer simulation of the crash condition was verified, providing a high degree of confidence in analytical representation of the structural crash responses. The empirical data were extended to other crash environments using the computer simulation techniques. Parameteric studies were conducted to study the effects of bumper weight and structural stiffness on vehicle and structure system responses.
- This report is available in three separate volumes: DOT HS-801 128, Vol. 1 Summary Report, 43 pp; DOT HS-801 129, Vol. 2 Technical Report, 263 pp; and DOT HS-801 130, Vol. 3 Appendices, 558 pp.
Ultrasystems, IncorporatedDynamic Science Division, 1850 West Pinnacle Peak Road
Phoenix, AZ United States 85027
- SHAW, L M
- Harper, A D
- Anderson, R L
- Publication Date: 1974-5
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 864 p.
- TRT Terms: Barriers (Roads); Bumpers; Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Research; Side crashes; Simulation; Structures; Vehicle dynamics; Vehicle front end
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicle responses
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00080605
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT HS-801128 to 130Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-046-2-486
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 26 1975 12:00AM