QUICK CONNECT INTERVEHICLE COUPLING SYSTEM
This paper covers the design, fabrication and operational testing of an electronically controlled, hydraulically powered, articulated intervehicle coupling joint which permits rapid vehicle coupling without external assistance and with substantial intervehicle misalignment. A microprocessor based control system will be added to coordinate the individual engine and transmission operations and to optimize and simplify the control of the articulation joint. Tests to data have shown that the vehicles can be coupled in less than one minute even with substantial misalignment between the two units; and that obstacle climbing capability is greatly improved. A field test program is being planned to determine the gains in mobility obtainable with this coupling system as compared to a single vehicle. (Author)
- From the Proceedings of the International Conference on the Performance of Off-Road Vehicles and Machines (8th), Volume 3. Held at Cambridge, England, on August 5-11, 1984, AD-A150 653, pp1077-1087.
Stevens Institute of Technology711 Hudson Street
Hoboken, NJ United States 07030
- Kamm, I O
- Wray, G
- Nazalewicz, J
- Publication Date: 1984-8
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Electronic control; Hydraulics; Microprocessors; Vehicles
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00396777
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 28 1996 12:00AM