THE NATIONAL ROAD MAINTENANCE CONDITION SURVEY
The National Road Maintenance Conditon Survey (NRMCS) is a survey of the condition of the roads in England and Wales by the detailed assessment of randomly selected 100m lengths covering all road classes, excepting motorways. It is a joint effort involving all 54 counties in England and Wales together with the Department of Transport and Transport and Road Research Laboratory. The county highway authorities carry out the actual surveys and the Department of Transport arranges for the results to be analysed by computer and duly published in February or March each year. The objectives of the survey are: (1) to provide a record of the current condition of the road network; (2) to enable the effects of changes in the level of maintenance expenditure to be monitored; (3) in the longer term, to enable the effects of changes in the patterns of expenditure, maintenance techniques and traffic to be studied, thereby improving the information on which maintenance decisions are made. The paper examines the methods used and discusses the results of the 1982 survey published in February 1983. The implications of those results are examined over the survey period 1977-1982 by analysis of the trends developing in the different road classifications illustrated by the defects index charts. This examination is then related to supplementary information in the national survey report including deflection data, trends in expenditure, carriageway width and traffic growth. (Author/TRRL) abstract of the symposium see IRRD 282404.
- This paper is from the Proceedings of the Symposium on Highway Maintenance and Data Collection July 13-14, 1983, Nottingham University, England. Volume 1 Papers. Volume 2 Discussions.
Nottingham University, EnglandDepartment of Civil Engineering
Nottingham NG9 3FQ, England
- Leech, G A
- Publication Date: 1983
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification; Condition surveys; Conferences; Costs; Data analysis; Defects; Deflection; Highway maintenance; Highways; Level of service; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Mathematical analysis; Methodology; Quality control; Surveillance; Traffic; Traffic lanes; Width
- Uncontrolled Terms: Highway classification; Maintenance costs; Quality
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 2992: Carriageway; 8513: Classification; 8525: Conference; 224: Cost; 5238: Defect (tech); 5586: Deflection; 2755: Highway; 653: Level of service; 3847: Maintenance; 9102: Method; 9063: Quality; 9101: Surveillance; 755: Traffic; 8119: United Kingdom; 6479: Width
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Pavements; I10: Economics and Administration; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I61: Equipment and Maintenance Methods;
- Accession Number: 00396072
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 30 1985 12:00AM