VALVE SELECTOR HARDWARE
Of the methods which deactivate cylinders, and thus reduce pumping loss due to pressure drop across the throttle blade at light loads and transporting of air through the engine, a valve selector was devised which bolts onto the engine with a minimum of modification and which allows the fulcrum to rise. When the valve selector is energized to deactivate the valves, the blocking plate is rotated by the solenoid to align windows in the blocking plate with the projections on the body, the rocker arm is lifted by the pushrod, and the fulcrum moves up the stud and lifts the body. Illustrations are given of the elongated hydraulic lifters, spring cup selector, latched rocker arm, rocker arm pivot release, swing arm and rotating selector, and engine installation. The valve selector fits many engines with minimal modifications.
- Presented at the SAE Congress and Exposition, Detroit, 27 February-3 March 1978.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Mueller, R S
- Uitvlugt, M W
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Control devices; Engines; Machine valves
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00395146
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780146, HS-025 302U
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 30 1985 12:00AM