HIGHWAY ACCIDENT REPORT--TRAILWAYS LINES, INC., BUS/E.A. HOLDER, INC., TRUCK, REAR END COLLISION AND BUS RUN-OFF-BRIDGE, U.S. ROUTE 59, NEAR LIVINGSTON, TEXAS, NOVEMBER 30, 1983
About 5:15 a.m. on November 30, 1983, a Trailways Lines, Inc., intercity bus traveling in the right lane of southbound U.S. 59 about 5 miles north of Livingston, Texas, struck the rear of an unloaded tractor-flatbed semitrailer operated by E.A. Holder, Inc. The bus then veered across the left southbound lane, crashed through a bridge guardrail, and vaulted to a creekbank 26 feet below the bridge deck. It was dark, the weather was cloudy, and there was no roadside lighting. The pavement of the four-lane, divided highway was dry. The truck had turned right onto southbound U.S. 59 about 927 feet before the accident site and according to postaccident tests had accelerated to about 42 mph when it was struck in the rear by the southbound bus. Six of the 11 bus passengers were killed; 5 bus passengers and the bus driver sustained moderate to severe injuries during the accident. The truckdriver later reported that he was injured. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the busdriver's lack of alertness, possibly due to fatigue, which resulted in his failure to recognize that he was overtaking a slower-moving truck until it was too late to avoid impact. Contributing to the severity of the crash was the excessive speed of the bus.
National Transportation Safety BoardBureau of Accident Investigation, 800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1984-7-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus drivers; Buses; Crash causes; Crash reports; Crash severity; Drivers; Fatalities; Fatigue (Physiological condition); Injuries; Rear end crashes; Speeding; Tractor trailer combinations
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; I80: Accident Studies;
- Accession Number: 00394993
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB/HAR-84/04, HS-037 846
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 30 1985 12:00AM