EVALUATION OF EFFECTIVENESS OF BIRD - SCARING OPERATIONS AT A SANITARY LANDFILL NEAR CFB TRENTON, ONTARIO, CANDADA
During 1 April - 24 June 1983, daily bird-scaring operations were undertaken by a private contractor at Quinted Sanitary Landfill Site (SLS) to help reduce hull numbers at nearby CFB Trenton. We made independent bird observations each week during the same period both at Quinte SLS and at two control SLS's where no bird-scaring operations took place. The effectiveness of individual visits to Quinte SLS by the bird-scaring personnel was usually of short duration; about 30 minutes after departure of the brid-scaring personnel gull numbers increased to those prior to the scaring operations. Prior to bird-scaring operations, gull numbers at Quinte SLS were most likely similar to those at the control SLS's. The frequent (2 or more a day) bird-scaring visits to Quinte SLS resulted in a large reduction in gull numbers, as compared to gull numbers at the control SLS's and the number of gulls that was most likely present before the scaring program. The long-term, cumulative effect of the persistend harassment of the gulls was a large drop in gull numbers, despite the fact that individual bird-scaring visits had only limited success.
- Paper from the Proceeding of the Conference and Training Workshop on Wildlife Hazards, to Aircraft, Held at Charleston, South Carolina on 22-25 May 1984, pp 265-273.
Peer Consultants1160 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD United States 20852
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20591
- Risley, C
- Blokpoel, H
- Publication Date: 1984-5
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Birds; Control; Landfills; Measures of effectiveness; Waste disposal facilities
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Terminals and Facilities; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00394873
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-FAA-AAS-84-1, AD-A148 330
- Contract Numbers: DTFA01-83-R-11287
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 31 1985 12:00AM