AIRPORT BIRD HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH SOLID WASTE DISPOSAL FACILITIES
Research has shown that all types of resuse disposal facilities (landfills, open dumps, etc.) that handle putrescible wastes have the potential to attract birds. Birds are attracted to these sites principally to scavenge for food. When solid waste disposal facilities are located in the vicinity of airports the probability of bird strikes is increased. Accordingly, solid waste disposal facilities located in the vicinity of an airport may be incompatible with safe flight operations. Those conditions that are not compatible must be eliminated, to the extent practicable. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have developed guidelines for identifying and eliminating airport bird hazards associated with solid waste disposal facilities. FAA Order 5200.5 is directed towards airport owners and managers to promote safe airport operations. This paper is an overview of the bird hazard problem due to solid waste disposal facilities including a discussion of the Federal guidelines and programs to promote proper land use near airports with respect to these facilities.
- Paper from the Proceeding of the Conference and Training Workshop on Wildlife Hazards to Aircraft, Held at Charleston, South Carolina on 22-25 May 1984, pp 219-230.
Peer Consultants1160 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD United States 20852
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20591
- Lake, D W
- Publication Date: 1984-5
- Pagination: 12 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Birds; Federal government; Guidelines; Hazards; Land use; Safety; Waste disposal facilities
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Design; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00394862
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-FAA-AAS-84-1, AD-A148 330
- Contract Numbers: DTFA01-83-R-11287
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 31 1985 12:00AM