TRANSIT OPERATIONS INSTITUTE: A MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT SEMINAR FOR WOMEN IN THE TRANSIT INDUSTRY. VOLUME I
This report outlines the results of a one-week Institute designed to provide professional growth and enhancement for women currently employed in the transit industry. Georgia Institute of Technology joined with the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) to provide an overview of the transit operations side of the industry. The intent was to provide a reasonable representation of the range of functions which are needed and the skills and backgrounds women must claim in order to perform these functions. The Institute combined on-site tours, pre-tour briefings, panel discussions, lectures and a variety of experimental opportunities in an effort in an effort to respond to the needs of women for technical/operational training in the transit industry. The scope and thrust of the Institute was designed in part to help fill recently expressed needs in the transit industry for new managerial personnel and simultaneously to improve utilization of women throughout all levels of the industry. Issues that were addressed included major actual operations involvement, real and perceived problems regarding women in the field, real skills and experience requirements, and improved self-image for women regarding their own professional validity and their interactions with their peers, supervisors and subordinates. Extensive evaluations of various sessions were conducted and may be used to assist in the conduct of a similar effort.
- The report number for Volume II of this report, under the same title, is: UMTA-GA-11-0015-84-2. The week-long Institute was held on 6-10 February 1984 in Atlanta, Georgia.
University of Georgia, ExperimentGeorgia Experiment Station
Experiment, GA United States
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ross, C L
- Publication Date: 1984-8
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Females; Management; Personnel; Professional personnel; Training; Transit operating agencies
- Identifier Terms: Urban Mass Transportation Act
- Old TRIS Terms: Management development; Personnel practices; Umta section 11
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Highways; Public Transportation; Society; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00394506
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-GA-11-0015-84-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: GA-11-0015
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1985 12:00AM