AN ORGANIZATIONAL ASSESSMENT IN DELIVERING TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
This report provides an organizational assessment in the delivery of public transportation services. The main objectives of this study are to review one area of urban transportation--the organizational aspect--and to identify, describe, document and quantify where possible, some of the reasons why the present organizational structure has not been appropriate for the adequate deliverly of public transporting services. This report also examines State, local and private organizational structures and Federal transit policies which might interfere in different ways and to different extents with the overall process of planning and implementing the delivery of public transportation services. This study seeks to ascertain the problems of coordination in transportation planning, to determine whether overlapping or duplication of planning efforts exist and to assess the current state of transportation planning and coordination. The survey that was carried out as a part of this project revealed variations among the various transit planning agents as to their perception of the problem, the size and nature of the problem itself, and possible solutions to the problem. Each area is physically different and each area's transit needs are different. The general conclusions of the report are that there are no simple answers to the organizational problem in delivering public transportation services. Expressed simply, no single fixed organizational balance can be achieved among transportation organizations and across various modes of service. However, the report provides an institutional framework on which to base Federal, State and local transportation policies.
Edward Waters College1658 Kings Road
Jacksonville, FL United States 32209
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Jackson, V
- SWAIN, D
- Publication Date: 1983-8
- Pagination: 119 p.
- TRT Terms: Federal government; Institutional issues; Local government; Management; Performance evaluations; Policy making; Private enterprise; Public transit; State government; Transit operating agencies
- Identifier Terms: Urban Mass Transportation Act
- Old TRIS Terms: Umta section 11
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Society; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00394468
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-FL-11-0006-84-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: FL-11-0006
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1985 12:00AM