ACCIDENT REVIEW. PHASE 02 REPORT
This report summarizes the activities under Phase 02 of the RPI-AAR Railroad Tank Car Safety Research and Test Project. Phase 02 was concerned with the analysis of tank car accidents to determine the probability of lading loss from tank cars involved in accidents and the potential value of various design concepts that would reduce the probability of lading loss. This report summarizes the incidents of lading loss from tank cars due to mechanical damage incurred in accidents in the period 1965 through 1970, the available information on tank car utilization during this same period, and the various statistics on risk levels and loss experience that were derived from this data. The values of various design concepts are presented, and an analysis is made of the effect of overlapping effects which would result from the implementation of more than one of the concepts.
- An RPI-AAR cooperative program.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Weston, R A
- Publication Date: 1972-8
- Pagination: 253 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Crash risk forecasting; Hazardous materials; Information storage and retrieval systems; Liquefied petroleum gas; Loss and damage; Risk analysis; Risk assessment; Tank cars; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Tank car design; Tank car safety research and test project
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00080338
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads Research Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: RA-02-2-18(R-141) Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 11 1976 12:00AM