REPORT ON DETERMINATION OF MOMENT CHARACTERISTICS IN A HORIZONTAL PLANE OF MATED COMBINATIONS OF TYPE "E" AND "F" COUPLERS. PHASE 10 REPORT
The objectives of this laboratory test were to determine the moment-angle relationship in a horizontal plane for each of three coupler combinations (E-E, F-F, and E-F) installed complete with draft gear, yoke, etc., in tank car stub sills and to study the elastic-plastic behavior of failure of the various components in the assemblies. The lateral moment resistance in all three coupler combinations is of the same magnitude. The moment-angle curves exhibit an identifiable elastic and plastic range. In the higher load region, the two "E" couplers exhibited greater ductile behavior--probably due to the elongation of the knuckles. In the case of the two "F" couplers, an earlier fracture occurred with less yielding of components. In the "E" combination, the higher load portion of the curve exhibited yielding somewhat between that of the other combinations. Failure in each test occurred in the coupler shank between the horn and that portion which contacted the striker side.
- An RPI-AAR Cooperative Project.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Sims, R D
- Publication Date: 1972-2
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Design
- Old TRIS Terms: Tank car safety research and test project; Type e couplers; Type f couplers
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00080297
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-134
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 29 1976 12:00AM