REPORT ON ANALYSIS OF 1/5 SCALE FIRE TEST DATA
Under the RPI-AAR Phase II "Thermal Effects Study," a Series of 1/5 and full scale fire tests were conducted in cooperation with FRA. The tests were carried out at the White Sands Missile Range by personnel of the Naval Ordnance Laboratory. Under this cooperative arrangement, RPI-AAR is furnishing the 1/5 scale tanks and full scale tank cars, complete with lading, appropriate fittings and safety devices, and NOL is furnishing the instrumentation and providing the data reduction. Three tests were conducted on tanks constructed to a 1/5 linear scale of a nominal 33,500 gallon DOT 112A340W, tank car, except that full scale tank wall thickness was maintained, water was employed as lading in the first two tests, and propane was used in the third. All three tanks were bare (non insulated). Because of instrumentation difficulties in the water tests, all future 1/5 and full scale tests will be conducted with propane. This report covers an analysis of the results of the third (propane) test; analyses, results, conclusions and recommendations represent only the work and views of the RPI-AAR Project team and not those of DOT (FRA).
- An RPI-AAR Cooperative Project.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Manda, L
- Publication Date: 1972-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Explosions; Fires; Hazardous materials; Liquefied petroleum gas; Tank cars; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Tank car design; Tank car safety research and test project
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00080283
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-137
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 29 1976 12:00AM