PRINCIPLES OF PLANE MOTIONS OF AUTOMOBILES. PROCEEDINGS ENTITLED "THE DYNAMICS OF VEHICLES ON ROADS AND ON RAILWAY TRACKS"
Horizontal motions of motor vehicles on a smooth, level road surface are discussed. Lagrangian equations for quasicoordinates are specifically tailored to motions of vehicle systems over horizontal surfaces, and are applied to a simple four-wheel vehicle model. Motions of this system are analyzed using the phase-plane approach. The steady-state turn, its stability, and the approach toward or the departure from such an equilibrium situation are studied. In some cases, only a limited region in the phase-plane around a stable, singular point contains trajectories tending to this point. The controllability of automobiles in emergency conditions is expected to be strongly related to the extent of "stable" regions. Mathematical equations are given for tire characteristics and motions limited to relatively small slip and steer angles. Lagrangian equations are written in special form to permit quick derivation of motion data in relation to longitudinal vehicle speed, lateral vehicle speed, and yaw speed. It is concluded that the phase plot represents a viable tool for investigating automobile stability and control.
- Also published in HS-026 982U, "The Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and on Railway Tracks. Proceedings of International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Symposium, Delft, Netherlands, 1975 August 18-22," Amsterdam, 1976 p 33-59.
International Union of Theoretical and Applied MechanicsChalmers University of Technology, Sweden
S-412 96 Gothenburg, Sweden
- Pacejka, H B
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated vehicle control; Equations; Lagrangian functions; Mathematical analysis; Motion; Motor vehicles; Speed; Stability (Mechanics); Traffic speed; Vehicle dynamics
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00394094
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-026 984U
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1985 12:00AM