CURRENT POPULATIONS OF COUPLERS AND KNUCKLES IN FREIGHT SERVICE INCLUDING IDENTIFICATION OF RECLAIMED COUPLERS
A field population study was made by looking at couplers and knuckles on one end of 5053 active freight cars in the U.S. fleet at eleven classification yards operated by nine major railroads at five different cities; namely, Chicago, Illinois, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Ga., Houston, Texas, and Los Angeles, Calif. The specific coupler data included coupler catalog number date of original manufacture, name of manufacturer and date most recently reclaimed. The specific knuckle data included knuckle catalog number in all cases but date of original manufacture and name of manufacturer only if the car was not coupled. Car data included age of car (new or rebuilt), type of car, capacity of car and car number.
- An RPI-AAR Cooperative Project.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Morella, N A
- COOK, R
- Publication Date: 1973-2
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Design; Field tests; Freight cars; Hand; Safety; Statistics; Surveys
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car components; Knuckles; Railroad coupler safety research and test project; Yokes
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00080281
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-119 Res. Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 29 1976 12:00AM