INVESTIGATION OF SEAT BELT PERFORMANCE IN N.S.W. (NEW SOUTH WALES) TRAFFIC CRASHES (AUSTRALIA). ROAD ACCIDENT INFORMATION SEMINAR PROCEEDINGS
The Impact-1 (In-depth, Multi-Phase Analysis of Crash Trauma) project being conducted within a 250-mi. radius of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia was initiated in 1973. Its broad aim is to identify those factors which presently limit the effectiveness of seat belt restraint systems. The accident investigations concentrate on those aspects related to seat belt wearing in the crash phase. Crashes studied are those in which at least one adult occupant of a 1969 or later model car was fatally injured while wearing a seat belt. Impact-1 is described in terms of data sought, resources, investigation procedures (notification, field, medical), integration of data collected, problem areas, and timetable. Two other studies also being conducted by the Traffic Accident Research Unit are described: Impact-2, a planned in-depth study of restraint system effectiveness using crashes where belted occupants were seriously injured, and Impact-3, an in-depth crash study to establish the relative benefits of alternative restraint systems for child occupants (now being conducted in pilot form). Appended are a list of equipment used by the Impact-1 field team, and instructions for photographic record of vehicle damage.
- Also published in HS-026 061U, "Road Accident Information Seminar Proceedings," Canberra, Australia, 1978 p 190-203. Sponsored in part by Australian Department of Transport.
Australian Government Publishing ServiceP.O. Box 84
Canberra, A.C.T. 2600, Australia
- VAUGHAN, R G
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Fatalities; Manual safety belts; Measures of effectiveness; Performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00394069
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-026 076U
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1985 12:00AM