SOAC (STATE-OF-THE-ART CAR) DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. VOLUME I. DESIGN, FABRICATION AND TEST
Design, fabrication and test of two new State-of-the-Art Cars (SOAC) whose objective is to demonstrate the current state-of-the-art in rail rapid transit vehicle technology were carried out. Passenger convenience and operating efficiency were primary goals. The SOAC features a DC-DC chopper in the propulsion system, separately excited DC traction motors, all-steel construction (with molded fiberglass ends), and vandal-resistant and fire-retardant materials in the interior. This volume, Volume 1 of a two-volume report, covers the development program through engineering testing; including data on design and performance, propulsion and braking, subsystems, test program, mockup and demonstration programs, and economic analysis.
Boeing CompanyVertol Division
Philadelphia, PA United States
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 193 p.
- TRT Terms: Choppers (Electricity); Economic efficiency; Light rail vehicles; Passenger cars; Passenger comfort; Rapid transit cars; Vehicle design
- Identifier Terms: State of the Art Car (Rapid transit car)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Old TRIS Terms: Car design; Choppers; Passenger car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00080249
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: D174-10031-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-10007
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 29 1982 12:00AM