GUIDELINES FOR ENHANCEMENT OF VISUAL CONSPICUITY OF THE TRAILING END OF TRAINS
The report summarizes a comprehensive study of potential means of reducing the probability of train-train collisions through enhancement of the visual conspicuity of the trailing end of trains. The basic function requirements and constraints for such devices are set forth, followed by a review of relevant past research. The form and parameter values of the warning system found to incorporate the best combinations of practicality and effectiveness are specified; in essence the system consists of clear xenon flash-tube beacons mounted on opposite sides of the car at the roofline, flashing simultaneously. Experimental use and observations of the system are described, and detailed recommendations are included.
- Record URL:
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hopkins, J B
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Protection; Safety; Safety equipment; Train operation; Visibility; Visual perception; Warning systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Protective devices
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00080219
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-FRA-74-8 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 29 1975 12:00AM