TRACK TRAIN DYNAMICS TO IMPROVE FREIGHT TRAIN PERFORMANCE
This manual is intended to produce guidelines related to freight train operation which are based upon the results of analysis of the current operating policies and practices of North American railroads. It is intended that the guidelines be accepted only at the discretion and volition of individual railroad managements. No rule making is intended, implied or contained and therefore none of the suggested guidelines supplant existing laws, rules or regulations. Every practical effort was made to insure that this manual is comprised of technically competent material. A committee representing many disciplines including air brake operations, train handling, general transportation operations, engineering maintenance of way, locomotive maintenance and car design was established to review the guidelines in their entirety. Many of the guideline procedures in which there were more than one possible option or that were of a controversial nature as to their effectiveness were further investigated through actual testing of the air brake functions and procedures on a manufacturer's Air Brake Rack and it is recommended that further testing be accomplished with train simulators and instrumented trains. Although not an exacting analysis, these tests did assist in supporting or proving many of the procedures. It is expected that further research will be accomplished by the recipients of the guideline manual and the improved methods incorporated into the manuals.
Chicago, IL USA 60616
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 310 p.
- TRT Terms: Air brakes; Braking; Control; Freight trains; Operations; Train operation; Train operations; Train track dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Braking control; Train performance
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00080130
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-122
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 29 1975 12:00AM