TRAILER AND SUSPENSION DESIGN REQUIREMENTS FOR EXCELLENT TOWABILITY
A new trailer suspension has been developed to incorporate many of the technological advances that have found their way into other automotive applications, which has resulted in a dramatic improvement in towability. The suspension is aimed primarily at travel trailers, horse trailers and special purpose trailers where good ride quality is an important factor. Two significant design changes to trailers have resulted from the application of this new positive steer suspension, namely, single axle applications replacing tandem suspensions, and reduction of hitch loads down to 3% of trailer mass.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/01487191
- International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, February 27-March 2, 1984.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Malcolm, G D
- Publication Date: 1984
- Features: Figures; Photos; References;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Ride quality; Suspension systems; Towing devices; Trailers; Vehicle design
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00393037
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 840130, HS-037 661
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 28 1985 12:00AM