STATISTICAL SUMMARY OF JOINT AAR-RAILROAD SURVEY OF CRACKED OR BROKEN COUPLERS, KNUCKLES AND YOKES IN FREIGHT SERVICE ON FIVE RAILROADS
To determine the approximate number of cracked or broken couplers, knuckles and yokes being regularly removed from freight service and to note the general relation of design, service life, location of failure and ambient temperature, the AAR and five railroads initiated a joint program. The investigation took the form of a field survey. This is a summary report and includes all the statistical data that has been computer sorted into tabular form for both the summer and winter periods of the program.
- An RPI-AAR Cooperative Project.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Morella, N A
- COOK, R
- Publication Date: 1972-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 176 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Field tests; Freight cars; Mechanical failure; Statistics
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car components; Knuckle failures; Yokes
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00080128
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-118
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 29 1976 12:00AM