METALLOGRAPHIC EXAMINATION OF SPECIMENS REMOVED FROM A SECTION OF TANK CAR IN SOUTH BYRON, NEW YORK DERAILMENT
The analysis presented in this report was conducted on the two specimens removed from shell plates. There are variations in banding, ferrite volume, blocky and acicular ferrite, but these represent normal variations in ingot freezing practice and rolling mill practice. None of these variations should result in significant differences in tensile rupture characteristics.
- An RPI-AAR Cooperative Project.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Olson, L L
- Publication Date: 1971-3
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Derailments; Fires; Hazardous materials; Hazards; Metallography; Metallurgy; Safety; Tank cars
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fire hazards; Observations
- Old TRIS Terms: Tank car safety research and test project
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00080115
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-127
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 16 1976 12:00AM