COMPARISON OF PETROLEUM AND ALTERNATE-SOURCE DIESEL FUEL EFFECTS ON LIGHT-DUTY DIESEL EMISSIONS
Exhaust emission data from several fuel effects studies were normalized and subjected to statistical analyses. The goal of this work was to determine whether emission effects of property variation in alternate-source fuels were similar, less pronounced, or more pronounced than the effects of property variation in petroleum fuels. A literature search was conducted, reviewing hundreds of studies and finally selecting nine which dealt with fuel property effects on emissions. From these studies, 15 test cases were reported. Due to the wide variety of vehicles, fuels, test cycles, and measurement techniques used in the studies, a method to relate them all in terms of general trends was developed. Statistics and methods used included bivariate correlation coefficients, regression analysis, scattergrams and goodness-of-fit determinations. Insertion of alternate-source fuel properties into exhaust emissions prediction equations based on petroleum fuel results indicated that the effects of alternate-source fuel property changes on exhaust emissions were statistically indistinguishable from those associated with petroleum fuels.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/01487191
- Fuels and Lubricants Meeting San Francisco, California, October 31-November 3, 1983.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Bykowski, B B
- HARE, C T
- Mason, R L
- BAINES, T M
- Publication Date: 1983
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternate fuels; Alternatives analysis; Diesel engines; Diesel fuels; Exhaust gases; Light vehicles; Petroleum; Statistical analysis
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00390906
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 831712, HS-036 828
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 30 1984 12:00AM