DIESEL FUEL QUALITY AND EFFECTS OF FUEL ADDITIVES
This synthesis presents information about diesel fuel and fuel additives, with emphasis on their use in transit buses. Rising fuel costs and a gradual decline in diesel fuel quality provide incentives to use fuel more efficiently. Environmental and public relations factors encourage reducing smoke and gaseous exhaust emissions. The use of additives is often proposed as a remedy for fuel-related problems but, because of their cost, additives must be shown to be effective by careful evaluation before and during their use. The study of fuel additives necessarily involves the broader subject of fuel quality and engine performance, which additives are expected to improve. Diesel fuel quality is not a constant, and major causes of changes are identified in the study. Performance in transit buses includes concerns for emissions and efficient combustion. This synthesis describes additives in functional categories and presents a generalized approach to methods for evaluation. Additive evaluation depends on a measurable change in fuel properties, engine performance, or both. Therefore, a background discussion of diesel fuel quality is included. This discussion covers measurement of fuel properties and how those properties relate to performance. Information on fuel quality trends and alternative fuels is also important for planning purposes. With this background the description of fuel additive benefits should be more useful in developing evaluation methods.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/07321856
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Moulton, D S
- Sefer, N R
- Publication Date: 1984-5
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 62 p.
- NCTRP Synthesis of Transit Practice
- Issue Number: 3
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0732-1856
- TRT Terms: Additives; Buses; Cetane number; Corrosion; Diesel fuels; Energy resources; Engine performance; Equipment; Evaluation; Ignition; Low temperature; Pesticides; Smoke; Specifications
- Uncontrolled Terms: Biocides
- Subject Areas: Energy; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00387935
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-037 789
- Files: HSL, TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Sep 28 1985 12:00AM