A BIBLIOGRAPHY ON THE DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE OF RAIL TRACK STRUCTURES
This bibliography was prepared as part of the Rail Supporting Technology Program being sponsored by the Rail Programs Branch of the Urban Mass Transportation Administration. It is based on the reference material that was used to evaluate the technical factors which govern the design and performance of at-grade track structures for urban rail systems. While most of the reference material that has been included is directly related to track used for railroad, rail rapid transit and light rail transportation, there are some additional references on related topics such as rail vehicle dynamics, soil mechanics, stress analysis, etc. However, this bibliography does not include a comprehensive review of these related topics. This survey includes much of the published literature on track design, track loading, ballast, wood and concrete cross ties, rail and rail fasteners. It also includes considerable material on track problems such as rail wear corrugation, rail defects, rail joints and track degradation. The formal literature search for this bibliography covered the time period from about 1963 to 1973. The principal sources were the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) file of government reports, Engineering Index, and the Applied Science and Technology Index. Earlier references were identified from the Railroad Research Information Service (RRIS) computerized data base and bibliographies prepared by the RRIS and the Association of American Railroads.
- Individual abstracts from this bibliography have been selected under RRIS numbers 072794-072851.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
- PRAUSE, R H
- Pestel, H C
- Melvin, R H
- Publication Date: 1974-9
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Bibliographies; Defects; Fastenings; Loads; Noise; Rail (Railroads); Rail joints; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Rapid transit; Soil mechanics; Structural design; Wear
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ballast; Track design
- Old TRIS Terms: Track loading
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00072794
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0025-74-7Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-563
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 11 1981 12:00AM