IMPACT OF TRAFFIC ON RESIDENTIAL AREAS
This overview report provides a brief review of the issues facing local governments as they work to reduce the effects of traffic on residential areas. Prepared by a coalition of 37 large cities and counties, the document covers strategies for neighborhood traffic management, issues in developing successful traffic control programs, the impacts of these strategies, warrants and legal issues. It includes an inventory of alternative control techniques and their effects on traffic speed, noise, safety, and emergency access, as well as a sampler of neighborhood traffic management devices used in North America. The report also supplies an extensive list of contacts for innovative local programs, and an annotated bibliography which can serve as a starting point for further research. The report is of an introductory level of detail, and should be especially useful to staffs of policy or elected officials.
Public Technology, Incorporated1301 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20004
- Publication Date: 1982-6
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Emergencies; Highway traffic control; Impact studies; Legal factors; Local government; Rural areas; Traffic; Traffic control; Traffic noise; Traffic safety; Warrants (Traffic control devices)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00393685
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-1-82-30
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 30 1985 12:00AM