LIFE CYCLE PROCUREMENT TECHNIQUES. TRANSIT PROPERTY BUS PROCUREMENTS
In 1982, Congress mandated that transit properties use life cycle costs in evaluating manufactures' proposals for the procurement of buses. This study analyzes the results of 25 transit properties which utilized life cycle costs in their bus procurements. The purpose of this anslysis is to enable transit properties to benefit from the experiences of others, and enable them to avoid the pitfalls inherent in the first time use of life cycle costing procurement procedures. This is accomplished by a detailed evaluation of the transit properties' Invitation for Bids, the manufactures' responses, and the methodologies used by the transit properties for evaluating the manufacturer' proposals. This evaluation indicates that different methodologies were used by the manufacturers in developing some of the same cost elements of their life cycle cost. The methodologies used resulted in significantly different cost estimates for essentially the same vehicle. This study shows the effect of these cost variations on the final award.
- References in the report, Appendix A "Life Cycle Cost Specifications from the Invitation for Bids" and Appendix B "Manufacturers Life Cycle Cost Proposals," are bound under separate cover.
Technology Applications, Incorporated5201 Leesburg Pike, Suite 1000
Falls Church, VA United States 22041
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bailey, B
- Graves, M
- Szten, E
- Publication Date: 1984-12
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 897 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bids; Buses; Case studies; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Fuel consumption; Industries; Legislation; Life cycle analysis; Life cycle costing; Pressurization; Procurement; Specifications
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical method
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Energy; Finance; Highways; Law; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00393528
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-VA-06-0112-84-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DTUM60-83-C-71222
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 29 1985 12:00AM