EFFECTIVENESS OF TRANSIT OPERATIONS IN TEXAS CITIES
This report is divided into 2 parts. Part I presents a set of generalized planning guidelines to assist transit properties in developing a transit performance monitoring system which can be used to evaluate the effectiveness of the services they provide. Included in the guidelines are sections detailing the following: 1) Potential uses of performance evaluation; 2) Establishment of goals and objectives; 3) A review of transit performance indicators; 4) Data needs; 5) Frequency of evaluation; and 6) Implementation of evaluative procedures. Part II of this report presents the results of a detailed evaluation of the effectiveness of the I-45 North Freeway contraflow lane in Houston, Texas. This evaluation addressed the following areas of concern: 1) Start up and operating cost; 2) Operation of the contraflow; 3) support facilities; 4) Ridership; 5) Enforcement and accidents; 6) Effect on traffic congestion, fuel consumption and air pollution; 7) Effect on modal split; and 8) User and nonuser attitudes toward priority treatment. In addition, a set of generalized planning guidelines for use in planning and implementing contraflow operations in other urban areas of Texas was developed based on North Freeway contraflow lane experience.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bullard, D L
- Publication Date: 1984-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 255 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus lanes; Contraflow lanes; Data collection; Modal split; Operating costs; Park and ride; Performance; Public transit; Transit operating agencies
- Uncontrolled Terms: Performance indicators
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Society; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00393512
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA/TX-84/1077-1F Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-10-84-1077
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 29 1985 12:00AM