AN EVALUATION OF THE DYNAMICS OF A MAGNETICALLY LEVITATED VEHICLE
An analytical and experimental evaluation was made of the stability and dynamic characteristics of a small scale magnetically levitated vehicle. The vehicle was levitated over a variety of guideway perturbations in an attempt at stimulating unstable modes of oscillation. No instabilities developed in the five degrees of freedom measured using either passive or active damping. The analytical model was used to simulate the observed motions of the vehicle using a computer. Reasonable agreement was found although more damping was observed than was simulated using the model. This work was performed as a part of the Federal Railroad Administration's program of research and development on high speed ground transportation for use in intercity passenger service.
- Related reports are NTIS PB-221696, Study of a Magnetically Levitated Vehicle, and NTIS PB-210505, The Feasibility of Magnetically Levitating High Speed Ground Vehicles. Research was sponsored by Federal Railroad Administration, office of Research Development and Demonstration.
Stanford Research Institute333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA USA 94025
- COFFEY, H T
- COLTON, J D
- Publication Date: 1974-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 160 p.
- TRT Terms: Dampers; Damping (Physics); Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Guideways; High speed ground transportation; Intelligent transportation systems; Magnetic levitation; Motor vehicles; Oscillation; Public passenger vehicles; Rapid transit; Stability (Mechanics); Test vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis; Dynamic characteristics; Transit vehicles
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00072689
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-ORD&D-74-41 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-10001
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 16 1981 12:00AM